In the context of numerous demonstration activities and pilot deployments of Smart Grid technologies in Austria, the need for a testing environment for automation components, smart grid controllers and their parameterization became obvious. The test facility “Intelligent Low Voltage Grid” allows various smart grid use cases to be analyzed and demonstrated. It provides a real low voltage grid with down scaled power and reduced configuration.
Based on the experiences from several simulations, demonstrations and test facilities of smart grid technologies in Austria, there is a need for a development and test environment for automation concepts and smart grid control units. New technologies have to be tested in safe environments before they are used in field tests, in order to prevent possible problems there. The “Intelligent Low Voltage Grid” is a simulation of a low voltage grid, where loads and generators are emulated. The low voltage grid consists of a local transformer and four houses, of which two of them have photovoltaics. The topology of the grid can modified. Through the software, accelerated profiles can be run and the functionality of the hardware is defined. It allows the following concept topics to be tested in the system: algorithms for controlling a tap changer, island mode within the grid, building automation concepts, smart metering and automatic switch state detection. This project is a close cooperation between Siemens Austria and Vienna University of Technology.
- Deutsch, Tobias, Friederich Kupzog, Thomas Leber, and Alfred Einfalt. “Pilot system intelligent low voltage grid”. In Electricity Distribution (CIRED 2013), 22nd International Conference and Exhibition on 10-13 June 2013, Sweden, pp. 1290-1290. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6683765&tag=1
- Wendt, Alexander, Mario Faschang, Thomas Leber, Klaus Pollhammer, and Tobias Deutsch. “Software architecture for a smart grids test facility.” InIndustrial Electronics Society, IECON 2013-39th Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp. 7062-7067. IEEE, 2013. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6700304
- Karacan, Ömer, and Alfred Einfalt. “Tobias Deutsch (3), Thomas Leber1 (1), Friederich Kupzog (2).” Versuchsanlage Intelligentes Niederspannungsnetz”, in 8. Internationale Energiewirtschaftstagung an der TU Wien IEWT 2013, Vienna, 2013. http://eeg.tuwien.ac.at/eeg.tuwien.ac.at_pages/events/iewt/iewt2013/uploads/fullpaper/P_217_Deutsch_Tobias_31-Jan-2013_0:17.pdf
- Pollhammer, K., Kienesberger, G., Faschang, M., Meisel, M., Wendt, A., Leber, T., Dimitriou, P.: „Smart Energy Grids in Austria – Innovative Solutions and Concepts“, in proceedings of IECON 2013 – 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 7048-7053, Vienna, Austria, 2013. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=6700302&tag=1
- Wendt, A., Faschang, M., Leber, T., Deutsch T.: „Software Design of the Test Facility „Intelligent Low Voltage Grid“, Poster, in Proceedings of Smart Grids Week 2013, Salzburg, Austria, 2013. http://download.nachhaltigwirtschaften.at/edz_pdf/events/20130517_sgw_poster_39_wendt.pdf
- Wendt, A., Pichler, M., Faschang M., Leber, T., Deutsch, T.: „Extension of a Smart Grid Test Facility with Building Energy Agent Technology“, in Proceedings of Smart Grids Week 2014, Graz, 2014. http://download.nachhaltigwirtschaften.at/edz_pdf/events/20140522_sgw14_poster_40_extension_of_a_smart_grid_test_facility_with_building_energy_agent_technology.pdf